In message <4b06d726.9020...@powellclan.com>, Jeff Powell <j...@powellclan.com> writes
Have you tried rsync? You can copy whole directories omitting files that have not changed.

rsync -auv --compress source_dir destination_server:/dest_dir

In our case we do this every two hours as a backup to a hot standby server. It works great. I can log in to the standby server and see sales that were made that day.

iirc it's even better than that. I don't have the source immediately to hand, but (a) rsync was, I think, written by one of the SAMBA guys, so they knew what they were doing, and (b) not only does it only copy files that are changed, but if they are big it only copies the bits that changed!

So if you're only updating the odd record in a several-megabyte file it won't understand the U2 structure, but it'll spot that just a couple of blocks have changed and only copy them.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <pi...@thewolery.demon.co.uk>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the