From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Israel, John R.
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:39 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] UniData Guide Command

I believe I have the solution.

1) The field in question, ALT.BILL.TO, is not being used on our system.
2) It is indexed to speed up SELECT statements that came from the vendor (ex:
SELECT filename WITH BILL.TO = X OR WITH SHIP.TO = X OR WITH ALT.BILL.TO = X).
All three fields must be indexed to get the response we need.
3) the guide_ndx appears to not take into account an indexed field that
contains no data.

Granted, indexing a field that is not used sounds dumb, but the vendor wrote it
to accommodate different customers with different needs.  Just because we do
not use it does not mean others don't.  However, it needs to be indexed or else
the selects (like above) will still wind up doing a full table scan.

My test was to simply shove a value into a single record, save it, then re-run
the guide_ndx.  No problems reported in the guide_ndx!  While this is not the
RIGHT answer (fixing quide_ndx to correctly address this condition is), this is
a simple solution.  We just need to put a bogus value in 1 record in each of
the two files.

John Israel
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Dayton Superior Corporation