This is a long shot, but we had a similar problem on hpux 10.  Our
problem was a little different, it only impacted certain users, not
everyone.  For certain users, "who -m" would report either multiple
lines or no lines.  The problem was in the utmp file, where the user
would have more than one open line.  The solution that we got from HP
was to get everyone off the system and null out the system accounting
files.

Like I said, it's a long shot, but it might help.  If nothing else, it
would rule out a problem with the utmp file.  (I don't know what HP uses
these days, but it's not called utmp anymore, either utmpx or utmps.)

>>> "Kathleene  M Hunter" <kmhun...@resolutionprovider.com> 1/23/2010
10:18 AM >>>
Barry,

Sorry about the delay in getting this information, but here are the
results

$ lastb -5

lastb can be invoked only by root. Exiting ....

$ who -R

user1   pts/ta       Jan 22 16:26  (d-user1.stl.dmfg.local)
awrpt      pts/tb       Jan 22 08:57  (s11.lc.hostirian.com)

user2   pts/tc       Jan 22 20:19  (d-user2.stl.dmfg.local)
dw         pts/td       Jan 23 09:09  (d-user2.stl.dmfg.local)

fab        pts/te       Jan 23 05:51  (d2371.sed.dmfg.local)

user1   pts/tg       Jan 22 16:23  (d-wintegrate.stl.dmfg.local)

awrpt      pts/tl       Jan 22 15:38  (s11.lc.hostirian.com)

user1   pts/to       Jan 22 16:23  (d-wintegrate.stl.dmfg.local)

user1   pts/tr       Jan 22 16:24  (d-wintegrate.stl.dmfg.local)

user2   pts/tt       Jan 22 16:06  (d-user2.stl.dmfg.local)
user1   pts/tu       Jan 22 16:25  (d-user1.stl.dmfg.local)
user1   pts/tw       Jan 22 16:27  (d-user1.stl.dmfg.local)
user1   pts/tx       Jan 22 16:27  (d-user1.stl.dmfg.local)
user2   pts/tD       Jan 22 16:06  (d-user2.stl.dmfg.local)
user2   pts/tF       Jan 22 16:08  (d-user2.stl.dmfg.local)
user2   pts/tH       Jan 22 16:08  (d-user2.stl.dmfg.local)
user1   pts/tK       Jan 22 16:24  (d-wintegrate.stl.dmfg.local)

$

Can you tell me anything? As you can see the -R option works it in only
the -m option on the who command that does not work.

Kathleené