From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of David Wolverton
Sent: 19 February 2010 2:49 PM
To: 'U2 Users List'
Subject: [U2] UniObjects 'Exec'

We are using a product and just found out that one of the reasons we're
having some difficulties on an installation was that one of my dictionaries
was not defined at a new site.  This caused a 'Exec' of a "SELECT" to fail,
but here's the kicker -- in BASIC, we could have 'seen' the error with
CAPTURING and RETURNING -- but I'm told the interface to UniObjects does not
return this diagnostic information on the 'Exec'...

So in BASIC, I would have

EXECUTE 'SELECT FILENAME WITH DICTITEM = "A"' CAPTURING THIS RETURNING THAT

And I could 'query' what is in THIS and THAT to decide if there is a problem
if the "DICTITEM" didn't exist for some reason.

I'm told that the product we're using cannot do this same thing -- there is
no way to 'know' the message 'select criteria DICTITEM is not a field' was
returned from the 'Exec' as we could have seen in the BASIC EXECUTE.

Is there no way to get back this same REALLY valuable feedback in
UniObjects?  How do you code for this issue in UO?

This would not be big deal if we had source code or a 'log' of what was
happening -- we just had a screen that didn't come up, and with dozens of
fields, it's not obvious what the issue was -- until we found it!  But the
failure of the 'SELECT' command causes the 4GL based on UO to just 'die' I
don't want to be stung another time with this, and am never afraid to ask
for thoughts or ideas!!  If there is a way to handle this, I want to find it
and get the idea into their head so I never have a 'lost day' trying to hunt
down this kind of issue...

TIA!!
David Wolverton

19:34:00