You might be better off using WAMP, a combination of Apache for the webserver,
MySQL for the database
   and PHP for the basic query of the database. WAMP is free. Throw in perl for
any non-web programming
   of the database you might need (which you can also compile to .exe's).

If the application is simple enough....but if they need more than that, they
are most likely going to
have to pony up for at least 1 or 2 licenses.

George