The problem with Thunderbird is that you can't, well, at least I can't, set it up to reply to the U2 list in "text mode" if you normally respond to email in "auto detect" mode. I've set everything up to auto detect except email I send to the U2 group. But, if I don't originate the email, i.e. I respond to U2 mail, I have to click on Options > Format > Plain Text Only before I click [Send], otherwise the email is rejected by the U2 list server.

I make this mistake all the time and have found that, as with this issue, there are quite a few quirks in Thunderbird that irritate me. However, not as much as Outlook consuming all the resources on my client machine and not properly connecting to IMAP servers. I must say that Outlook's interface is much smoother than Thunderbirds but the connections to the mail server are disgraceful compared to Thunderbird. Hence, I use Thunderbird because I need to connect to several IMAP mail servers and only want to to use one email client.

HTH,

Bill