I am on digest, so apologies if this is a duplication of a suggestion
made earlier.  We tend to use plain old record locks for our phantom
processes.
The record won't list but if you try to edit it, it will come back as
locked and prevents a second instance of the process from running.

Ex;

* Set an exclusive record lock or exit if already running
RECORDLOCKU F.FILENAME,"BACKGROUND.SERVICE" LOCKED
   * Send a message if necessary
   STOP
END

Also, for sleeping phantoms, I've found the LIST.PAUSED command helpful
to at least see if they are there.  It's not helpful at all for what
they're running or where they're running.

Shaun Ferguson
Systems Analyst
Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.