Yes,

I've worked on various systems that do this. Those that run under Windows
generally use the built-in BCI (ODBC) interface which is fast and effective
- depending of course on what you are calling at the other end! As always
the usual rules apply about calling stored procedures being generally much
quicker than firing off inserts and updates.

For UNIX based sites there are plenty of third party solutions - I have a
simple one called conduit for example, and there are plenty others out
there. There is cost involved, but there is also cost in purchasing ODBC
drivers and driver managers for UNIX if you want to go the BCI route. You
pays your money and you takes your choice.

The real issues are generally not around connectivity. They are around
normalizing the data and cleaning up the crap that accumulates in more
forgiving legacy systems, especially if you are going to be loading lots of
historic data. That involves not only dealing with poorly managed data -
which can happen - but also with data whose meaning has changed over time.
That's a whole different subject.

And when you say 'legacy' I assume you're talking about the application and
not the platform...

Regards

Brian