Hi Steve,
Perforce for source control combined with virtual machines for development and
test.
The use of Perforce was mainly because it has a great API and fits well with
the spectrum of development. It's not all about U2 here.

I haven't looked at any of the distributed VCS components so I can't offer any
advice there.

As a suggestion, I cannot recommend highly enough the use of VMs for dev and
test. Using a VM will give you a system based replication of your production
environment and data. This means rather than creating development and test
accounts, you can develop and test in your "production" environment with all
the same file pointers, account names, security settings etc.
There are numerous other advantages to VMs. They can be provisioned and torn
down again rapidly. Depending on your VM platform they can be snap-shot and
rolled back during bug fixing, install dev/tests and scenario testing. You can
have an app developed and installed with *exactly* the same set of artefacts
and instructions for test and prod. And it also which means you can reduce the
number of accounts you need to maintain.

Cheers.

This is very helpful.  I am thinking of maybe a control record per dict
item record type to classify the relations between say the FD and .FD or
the SD, SD.GUI and SD.TXT.  That control record would specify which
attributes to export out in the lowered record.  This could be extended
to RD's, Conditional's, Dialog's.  All of the SB+ types.  Maybe instead
of a trigger, put a wrapper around (or in) FD, AE, etc.

Stuart, what vcs do you use?  I have been looking strongly at Hg, but
the distributed model looks liek an ill fit when the code must be run in
an ERP environment.  Its not like each dev can have their own TEST account.

Might be nice, but it is not reasonable.