From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of u2ug
Sent: 08 June 2010 16:31
To: U2 Users List
Subject: [U2] UV Memory issues

We started running into a situation recently where a box running
universe 10.2.11 on hpux 11.31 started to have severe performance
problems, zero response, processes that normally take seconds to run
taking hours etc.

In Top we could see that the reported free memory was averaging about
28M at times dropping to less than 5M and that the vhand process was
chewing up a most of the cpu.  With the free memory that low, vhand
hogging the system makes sense.  Why the memory is that low is the
question.

The machine has 4G of memory, right after reboot before anyone but me
gets on the system top shows us at 3G free.  If we just let the system
sit, free memory will sit happily at 3G.  As soon as we start using
universe, the free memory starts to fall.   Logging out all universe
processes and even bringing universe down has no effect on free memory -
I would have expected the memory to be freed up once the universe
processes and in particular universe itself was terminated but that's
not what we are seeing.

We were in the process of setting up a new box physically the same as
the old box but running uv  10.3.6 on hpux 11.3.1. So I am looking at
this problem now on that box in isolation.  We were hoping that this
would turn out to be a hardware issue but we are seeing the same problem
on this new box as well.

This is out of my realm of experience and I am stumped as to where to go
next.  I have the system guy checking with hp , my guess is they are
going to point the finger at uv. I am going to check with our var - I'm
not overly optimistic there either.

Any suggestions ?
 - Hpux/uv tunables we should be looking at
        - can we tell universe to restrict the amount of physical memory
that it uses ?
        - Or maybe this is a garbage collection issue ?
        - universe or hpux being overly aggressive about caching
 - any hpux utilities that we can use to see exactly where the memory is
being used ?
 - .... ?

Gerry