Brian:

Here's the info..  Should have all you were asking for...   thx, jay

I actually have the linked server created and pulling information.  But the
connection is flakey.  As in periodically I get a ‘catastrophic error’.
This is if I pull significant data through the linked server using SQL
Server Management Studio (2005).

---This is the Error---

This is the first error:
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "PAUVQA2" returned message
"[IBM][UVODBC][2300439]Error ID: 1  Severity: FATAL  Facility: MEMERR - Out
of memory.".
Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server
"PAUVQA2".

---

If I run another query against that linked server ;

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "PAUVQA2" reported an error.
The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.
Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server
"PAUVQA2".

-----------end error---

At that point I am out of luck and no additional queries to the linked
server will work.

I ‘believe’ I am using ODBC drivers.  I have the UNIDK installed (from 10.2
disc) and use the Universe UCI Config Editor

As well as the Universe ODBC Management tool –

Additionally – The Linked Server SQL Code is  -

/****** Object:  LinkedServer [PAUVQA2]    Script Date: 06/11/2010 10:59:49
******/
EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'PAUVQA2', @srvproduct=N'IBM
Universe for ODBC', @provider=N'MSDASQL', @datasrc=N'PAUVQA2',
@location=N'ODBCPROD'
 /* For security reasons the linked server remote logins password is changed
with ######## */
EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin
@rmtsrvname=N'PAUVQA2',@useself=N'False',@locallogin=NULL,@rmtuser=N'BISVCS',@rmtpassword='########'

GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'collation
compatible', @optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'data access',
@optvalue=N'true'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'dist',
@optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'pub',
@optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'rpc',
@optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'rpc out',
@optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'sub',
@optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'connect
timeout', @optvalue=N'0'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'collation
name', @optvalue=null
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'lazy schema
validation', @optvalue=N'false'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'query
timeout', @optvalue=N'0'
GO
EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'PAUVQA2', @optname=N'use remote
collation', @optvalue=N'true'

+++++++++
We have used the –G option in the SQL Server Service startup to increase to
2048   (2 gig) .  the protected memory pool.

The server is a 16 processor Windows 2003 server with 32 gig of memory -  22
gig is allocated to SQL server.

Increasing the –g option from the default 348 to 2048 allows us to run a
day’s worth of transactions (most usually)  and we restart the sql server
service nightly as a scheduled job to flush out this memtoleave area.

+++++++++

We use the following code to interrogate the MemtoLeave region of memory -
SELECT
Size = VAS_Dump.Size,
Reserved = SUM(CASE(CONVERT(INT, VAS_Dump.Base)^0) WHEN 0 THEN 0 ELSE 1
END),
Free = SUM(CASE(CONVERT(INT, VAS_Dump.Base)^0) WHEN 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)
FROM
(
SELECT CONVERT(VARBINARY, SUM(region_size_in_bytes)) [Size],
region_allocation_base_address [Base]
FROM sys.dm_os_virtual_address_dump
WHERE region_allocation_base_address <> 0x0
GROUP BY region_allocation_base_address
UNION
SELECT CONVERT(VARBINARY, region_size_in_bytes) [Size],
region_allocation_base_address [Base]
FROM sys.dm_os_virtual_address_dump
WHERE region_allocation_base_address = 0x0
)
AS VAS_Dump
GROUP BY Size
)

INSERT INTO tbl_chkMemToLeaveSpace
SELECT GETDATE(), SUM(CONVERT(BIGINT,Size)*Free)/1024,
CAST(MAX(Size) AS BIGINT)/1024
FROM VAS_Summary
WHERE Free <> 0
++++++

This has given us insight into the 2 gig protected memory pool… it seems to
us that there is a memory leak.   Only restarting the SQL Server Service
remediates this collapse.  The collapse doesn’t tear down sql server -  but
no calls using the linked servers to UV will work without a restart.

---
I reset the server service at about 10:57 – then executed a large Query

select * from PAUVQA2…Polmast

this is the data from the Memtoleave procedure – we snapshot that memory
region every 5 minutes and record it:

Datetime        TotalAvailMemKB MaxFreeSizeKB
6/11/2010 11:17 44024   2728
6/11/2010 11:16 44024   2728
6/11/2010 11:15 44024   2728
6/11/2010 11:14 45916   2728