From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Susan Joslyn
Sent: 12 July 2010 13:33
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UI standards

Good morning.

In developing a new user interface - how have you folks established
standards?

When I google around I find an immense amount of information.
Accessibility
standards.  Industry standards.  And many games and applications have
published their standards - how to make your software look like theirs
so
your users are already familiar.  I don't see as many published
standards
regarding data entry screens.  (But I am still plowing through thousands
of
search results!) Still many of these standards are personal choice.  Or
in
some cases far to the opposite extreme - you can find psychological
studies
about what colors to use, for example.

If you set standards on a previous interface and now move to another -
how
much do you want to stick to your standards for consistency and
compatibility and how much do you want to break out and show-off that
this
is, after all, a new interface?

Obviously there are technical limitations - with the new stuff, always.
But
what about design decisions you made based on previous limitations - and
now
those limitations are lifted!?  How crazy do you go?  What do users
really
want? (Now there is something to ponder!)

Any thoughts, ideas, references and discussion on this topic from
anyone?

Susan

This e-mail and any attachment(s), is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the
addressee, dissemination, copying or use of this e-mail or any of its content
is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please
inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail, any attachment(s) and any
copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted
by law. It is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any
attachment(s). Unless otherwise stated (i) views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender (ii) no contract may be construed by this
e-mail. Emails may be monitored and you are taken to consent to this
monitoring.

Civica Services Limited, Company No. 02374268; Civica UK Limited, Company No.
01628868
Both companies are registered in England and Wales and each has its registered
office at 2 Burston Road, Putney, London, SW15 6AR.