Henry,
You're absolutely correct: I created a proper symbolic link for /hp-ux and
everything worked like a charm.
I was familiar with the installation readme instructions, but made an
unfortunate typing mistake when creating the symbolic link for /hp-ux a week
ago:
[/] # ls -l /hp-uxlrwxrwxrwx   1 root    sys     12 Jul 15 15:32 /hp-ux ->
/stand/vmuix  <-- before: missing letter "n"
[/] # rm /hp-ux
[/] # ln -s /stand/vmunix /hp-ux
[/] # ls -l /hp-uxlrwxrwxrwx   1 root    sys     13 Jul 22 14:26 /hp-ux ->
/stand/vmunix  <-- after: a proper link
Thank you very much for your help!

To satisfy your (and everyone else's) curiosity, this small organization still
running PI/open as a production server has been quite happy with its
investment: developed custom INFO/BASIC applications on Prime INFORMATION in
1988-1993, upgraded to PI/open in 1995, and hasn't changed much since then.  At
the time when the HP 9000 hardware and the PI/open database reached their
vendors' "end of life", this organization didn't have the resources to move the
custom applications to a new platform and decided to leave the system running
"as is".  Now the move is being planned.
Natasha zagskyzag...@hotmail.com