Baker,

The A to B switchover on the Sequoias was manual and we did in fact do it after about 15 minutes. Only because it provided an excellent opportunity to do so. The Sequoia Field Engineer was on site with the new parts (it was one of the 2 power supplys for the drawer of Raid disks) within 30 minutes.

As far as I know Sequoia is no more. I seem to remember they sold their hardware business unit to General Automation in the mid 1990's.

Baker Hughes wrote:
Jeff,

Thank you for giving your experience with HA AIX and a cluster.  We are also
doing the HA but not clustering. The couple minutes time lag you mention and
the possibility of broken transactions make one wonder if it's worth going that
distance.

I didn't know Stratus was still out there so thanks for that.  What about
Sequoia? That was also a very coveted system in the 911 offices back in the day.

Awesome story about the Sequoia still tooling right along while the disk is on
fire. So did the system switch itself over to 'B' or did y'all do it, when?

I can't match that one, but even with Reality 7 (sorry to mention this on the
U2 list) we could throw a manual switch (took me about 30 seconds to get from
my office to the switch in the computer room) and when the dispatchers logged
in, there were their sessions with screens looking identical to system A.
That's why I gotta believe we can do better, 20 years later.

Thank you.
-Baker