I can't speak for UV, but UD creates work files in a temp directory (that
you can specify at runtime). I've monitored this directory to guesstimate
status and completion time.

From:
"Bob Witney" <b...@explore.co.uk>
To:
"U2 Users List" <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Date:
09/07/2010 08:58 AM
Re: [U2] Questions abount Resize on Universe
Sent by:
u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org

Depends if you are doing it in place or to anmother account

Have had probs stopping those done in place

Using another account for the work file stop ok