I need insight from the U2 faithful. This is Unidata 7, if that affects the answer...

I have a file which has 2 associated fields, such as:

XEM.PERSON = 1737292:@VM:1818182:@VM:9187311
XEM.VALUE = 23:@VM:14:@VM:99

What I'd like is a field which sorts by XEM.VALUE for the associated person querying the records. That is, if person 1737292 is selecting records it would use 23 for purposes of sorting this record. If 1818182 is selecting, it would use 14 for sorting.

I've done plenty of i-descriptors both with and without subroutines, but I don't have insight as to any method of allowing the query to know who's running it. I've dreamed about WHEN...ASD but Unidata only allow this in a LIST statement and it doesn't really do what I need, even if it were allowed in a SELECT.

I need the data stored as listed above, but I am open to using a database trigger to store this in some alternative form that makes the query easier to deal with - but I can't think of how this might be accomplished.

Any insight is appreciated.

--
Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Manager of ERP Systems

"Dad, one [dollar bills] are good but tens are way better."
                          Catherine Butera