These aren't bugs. They are features :)
Going all the way back to the beginnings with pick and microdata/reality, math
in the F and A processing codes has been integer only. This was on purpose, for
speed I think. And it works fine if you follow the fundamental rule of not
using decimal points internally. If you want your users to input 3.99 then your
input routine should use ICONV to scale it to 399, and then scale again on
output.

On d3 (and I guess ultimate) 3.99 x 3 = 9. They do pure integer math in
correlatives, truncating decimals. universe emulated this using the decimals
but truncating the result. It's slightly more accurate but still keeps decimals
out of the results, which was what was expected--it's a feature.

F-correlatives are interpreted, but itypes compile their expressions to object
code similar to what the basic compiler produces (for performance), and store
that object code in the itype item itself. This is another "feature"--the
compiled object has to go somewhere, and that's where they put it on universe.
That's why you shouldn't display the entire itype item on a terminal--it
contains binary object code, some of which will appear to your terminal as
control characters, and throw your terminal into odd modes. If that does
happen, most good terminal emulators have a menu option to reset the
display--you aren't really locked up at that point. If you find yourself
experiencing this a lot, you might want to consider putting together a
dictionary viewer program (something fancier than LISTF) that will prevent you
from displaying the embedded object code, and could also display version info,
etc, if you store it.

I've never been logged out on universe by using a changed dict without
recompiling, but I guess it is possible. In that case you aren't being logged
out--you are experiencing a memory error of some kind and aborting. If you can
reproduce that then it really is a bug that should be reported.

As someone else mentioned, you can use the first attribute of the itype to
store arbitrary information--this works on A/S/D type dictionary items as well.
universe only looks at the first letter, so anything after that is free to use.
However, a better option might be to use some form of source control.