On 07/03/11 09:16, Symeon Breen wrote:
> Lets say your batch of transactions is in a file, as you process each one
> set a flag saying it is done, or delete the record or something, then
> yourprogram can select the file, loop through the records and if the flag is
> set or the record does not exist it just skips onto the next one. You can
> then start 10 processes running all doing the same thing and they will work
> through the file. Or you could have process 1 doing all the ones beginning
> with a 1, 2 for 2 and so on.  You may want a controlling program that runs
> up, counts the records on the file/in the batch and from that determined how
> many phantoms to run up. It then runs up the phantoms and then stops.

Just be careful. This is the sort of approach I would use, but be
careful of BASIC SELECT. DON'T use this on a dynamic file unless you
know what you're doing, or you don't need "as fast as possible" response
and can run a pass say once a minute.

The reason for saying that is that SELECT will halt any "dynamicness" in
the file so you could end up with a badly mis-sized file. Probably not
important, but something to be aware of. If you leave a fallow gap
between SELECT passes, then the app writing to the file will cause the
file to sort itself out.

Cheers,
Wol