On 05/19/11 09:26, John Thompson wrote:
My understanding of UniObjects is that it is a "connector" into Universe or
Unidata.

Yes, but:
You have to have a windows machine as the go between.

Not true - you can do this with *nix.

So for example, if you wanted to use some .NET language or C#, or PHP, or
whatever to connect your Universe or Unidata database to a web form, etc.,
you could use UniObjects running on a Windows Server running IIS or Apache
(a web server) that sits alongside your U2 database server.

It doesn't have to be web apps I don't think... For example, some of the
software offered as part of the Client CD you get from Rocket uses it to
edit dictionaries, programs, etc.

As far as other technologies that are out there...
I am still pretty much a noobie myself, but, there are a ton out there that
you can use to talk to Universe or Unidata.

I know more about the Linux/AIX side of things than I do Windows, but, in
most cases if you get to the point where you can make a programming language
(PHP/Perl/Python, etc. etc.) launch a Universe or Unidata session, read in
some data, and write some data back out, then you are a great deal of the
way there (and of course security is always part of the design, in whatever
you build).

I currently have been having a lot of fun with the following scenario:

Using Ubuntu Linux as a web server running Apache/PHP
Sending http requests to the AIX server running Universe/Apache/PHP
which then launches a Universe session to pick up the data and write it back
out
which then sends the result back to the Ubuntu web server.
(JSON is used as the standard data interchange format)
(JQuery is used to make the web forms pretty and work with data - not
required really)
(PHP is used to send the requests and also work with the data)

Of course, like anything... in a production environment (which this is not
currently in), you have to lock down your U2 machine to
only receive requests from that Web Server, etc.

I got the idea (and help) from another gentleman named Kevin King.  I have
been having a lot of fun with it.

Like anything though, everybody has their tools that they like.  The beauty
of this in my opinion is that you can try it out for free, and if you don't
like it, the only thing you have possibly wasted is some time.