On 24/05/11 00:59, Dawn Wolthuis wrote:
> Oh yeah, this is fun stuff (given that I am not either party, that is). As I
> recall from reading a while back, someone left some test code in the google
> product that was taken directly from Sun/Oracle code, which greatly
> complicated their defense when it was found that this code was deployed.
> Oops. That was supposed to be removed before delivery. That poor programmer
> in the trenches. He/She/They apparently did not grasp the big picture or
> magnitude of deploying such code.  --dawn

It's also severely embarrassed Oracle :-)

They presented the code to the Judge, saying "Google haven't got a
licence". Turns out, iirc, that the code had a Free licence, but the
version given to the Judge had the licence information stripped...

Rumour has it that the code was actually the output of a decompiler, but
that might not be true. Anyways, as far as I can make out, everything
was legit but *appeared* illegitimate. And at least some of that
*appearance* seems to be deliberate Oracle shenanigans. :-) Oops.
Especially as the Judge seems to dislike corporate fun and games :-)

Cheers,
Wol