That's the best answer yet, Wol.

Assuming there's no Next-Sequential-Id counter to poll.

& assuming a large file, and an ongoing need. (If not, who cares?)

& assuming normal writes to the file aren't so frequent that maintaining the extra index -- albeit ever so evenly distributed -- isn't too taxing compared to the occasionally need for that max.

Probably reasonable assumptions, all.

cds