From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Friday, 5 August 2011 3:37 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] AIX uname and Redback

We have a client who found "uname -Fa" on AIX 5.3 doesn't return
the unique system ID value when run through Redback.  Suggestions
are welcome about how to get the whole value.  For example:

>From the command line and UO the result from 'uname -Fa' is:
AIX hostname 3 5 ttttccsssssp ttttmmmccsssss

>From a Redback connection that 'longnid' value is missing:
AIX hostname 3 5 ttttccsssssp

See the following page for details about how uname has changed in
5.3.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-aix-systemid.htm

Rocket has not been able to identify the cause.  I guess they
don't have access to IBM resources anymore. ;)  It's my current
guess that Redback is running in 32bit mode and that the longnid
may only be generated for 64bit applications, but I can't test
that.

This is important for my purposes as uname is used as a component
of the security mechanism to lock NebulaXLite and other software
to a single system.  I don't care what the value is, but I need
it to be reported consistently.  For now I'm issuing a
site-specific version of the software so they can move forward,
but I'd like to understand the problem.

Thanks!

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno

Message  protected by DealerGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content
filtering.
http://www.pentanasolutions.com

https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1CQK4QfHQ7/4yuiblka8q8HrpDAq0e7ba/0

This email and any attachments to it are confidential.
You must not use, disclose or act on the email if you are not the intended
recipient.  Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional
Standards Legislation.