From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Adam Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, 10 August 2011 12:17 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UV 11.1 64-bit on Cisco UCS with NetApp Filer?

All,

We recently upgraded and virtualized our UniVerse servers to UV 11.1 64-bit on
a Cisco UCS B Series platform with a NetApp 3040A/A Filer.  Going to 64-bit
with an upgrade in the virtualized environment, we expected to see a noticeable
(if not significant) increase in performance than we were achieving on our old
physical 32-bit server.  However, not only has performance not notably
increased, we are having random slowdowns in various areas of the system that
were not occurring before.  I say random, because while it does seem to affect
certain areas more, it is not consistent.

Some examples of behavior that has changed since the virtualization:

An SB screen that has some calculated fields on it will take a minute to load,
but the next time it loads it loads in just a couple seconds for the same
record.
An ASP webpage with 10+ queries against different files (heavy-duty processes)
using Web DE to connect will takes 5-6 minutes to load that was only taking a
minute before.
Randomly, saving a change in the SBClient screen designer on our Dev
environment will hang for 20-30 seconds. (Same virtualized specs, but far less
traffic due to being a dev environment.)
Simply initiating a telnet session, sometimes it will be 10-15 seconds before
the login prompt appears to enter username and password.

Does anyone out there have any experience with any of these pieces (UV 11.1
64-bit, Cisco UCS, NetApp Filer) that could shed some light on why we are now
seeing these performance issues?

Thanks.

Adam Taylor
Director of Software Development
O: (713) 795-2352
www.INXI.com

************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE *****************************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email,
do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your
system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or
commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.