On 19/08/11 22:57, Doug Averch wrote:
> Source code control using TFS is not easily done. Microsoft created a
> command line client and a plugin for Eclipse.  See
> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=4240.
>  However you want to accomplish this, you must create a script to copy the
> files to a local directory from TFS version control since it does not
> understand Universe file system.

To which I would add - is TFS similar to sourcesafe, ie a centralised
version control system? Having used sourcesafe, it's a ***ing nuisance
if more than one programmer wants/needs to work on the same code at the
same time.

Look at using a DVCS such as git in addition to / instead of it. Even if
you use TFS as your main source control, if programmers use git as their
local source control they can write and test their work without needing
to check out the central code. Then when they're ready, sync their local
tree to the centre, checkout, one last QA run of their changes, checkin,
and off they go again. That way, the central repository is only ever
checked out for short intervals, and even if several programmers are
working on the same code, they aren't trampling over each other's code.

Cheers,
Wol