We've been using UOJ with WebSphere App Server since around 2003.  Not
quite the same as Domino, I realize, but at least under the same IBM
Java middleware umbrella.  I can't offer a lot the way of best
practices, but I can say that the combination is robust and
trouble-free.  This is more OS related, but if you're connecting to or
from a linux box you need to make sure the LANG environment variable is
set correctly.  The RedHat default is incorrect for UOJ (at least up to
EL 5) and will result in MV delimiters being incorrectly translated into
other ascii characters.  RedHat EL 5 stores the LANG value in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n and the official setting I was given by IBM is
"en_US.iso885915".

Another gotcha I've run into in the past (also not app platform
specific) is difficutly isolating bugs in UV subroutines that cause an
abort.  The result is a hung unirpc connection and a corresponding
consumed license.  If this problem happens in a frequently called
subroutine, you can quickly find yourself with no UV licenses left.  To
isolate offending subroutines, I created a tracking subroutine that gets
called at the beginning of each subroutine with the caller's name as an
argument.  The tracking subroutine does the following:

EXECUTE 'DUM ':PROG.NAME

Where DUM is a dummy VOC entry that does nothing.  This allows me to see
the last subroutine called by the hung UOJ session in the PORT.STATUS
output.  The one best practice I can offer is to have a UniBASIC
front-end utility for every UniBASIC UOJ subroutine for troubleshooting
purposes.  That way if you run into the situation above, you can call
the subroutine from TCL and step through it in the debugger.

-John