cwn...@comcast.net

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlienoah>

The views and opinions expressed herein are my own (Charlie Noah) and do not necessarily reflect the views, positions or policies of any of my former, current or future employers, employees, clients, friends, enemies or anyone else who might take exception to them.

On 12-17-2011 12:09 PM, Laura Hirsh wrote:
  Comments below...

-----Original Message-----
From: "DavidJMurray (mvdbs.com)" [nab...@mvdbs.com]
Date: 12/16/2011 09:37 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Graph DataBase

I also, to some extent, agree with Dawn.

The mv, NF**2, post relational, PICK, or whatever the correct model name is,
it is not a relational database. There are very strict definitions to a
relational database, namely, but not complete, normalisation, SQL, joins
etc.
<parts snipped>

> From the horse's mouth - IE, Codd and Date themselves, relational is a MODEL. There are not
"STRICT" definitions. The current and widespread interpretation is different from the intentions
set out way back when by those designing the model. C&D also acknowledged that the relational model
was not (and is not) perfect. And I quote... "Pick is the best implementation of what the relational
model tried to accomplish" - Dr. Nathan Goodman, VP Codd and Date International. And yes, I have met
with Codd, Date and Goodman on this very issue.

This argument reminds me of those interpreting an artist's paintings... "this was
painted during so-n-so's blue period... he was distraught and depressed... you can tell
this from his choice of colors." Well, maybe the artist just ran out of red paint...
or perhaps, the artist took advantage of a fire sale at the corner DIY art supply store.

In the Pick/U2/MV model, we're mainly dealing with business applications. As
such, the more relevant questions shouldn't revolve around relational, but
instead does xxxxx model allow an application to perform well, adjust easily to
a company's changing needs, provide a robust, performant, and easy to maintain
environment, etc. Most importantly, does i xxxx model allow a company to focus
on, and increase the bottom line of their business.

It really shouldn't be about one technology vs another.

-Laura