Hi All,

I have just started to use SQL queries in universe instead of Retrieve.

When I perform a SQL select against a Universe file and save it to a
&SAVEDLISTS& record each record is on a new field line and the column data is
separated by text marks.

For example if I have a file with the following data

File: MYFILE

@ID     COL1    COL2    COL3
-----------------------------------
1       ABC     123     Moo
2       DEF     456     Woof
3       HIG     789     Meow

SELECT COL1, COL2, COL3 TO SLIST 1 FROM MYFILE;

I would then get a saved list with 3 fields.

ABC @TM 123 @TM Moo
DEF @TM 546 @TM Woof
HIG @TM 789 @TM Meow

But if I add the ORDER BY to the end of my SQL query it does not use text
markers

SELECT COL1, COL2, COL3 TO SLIST 1 FROM MYFILE ORDER BY COL1;

My saved list is then made up of 9 fields.

ABC
123
Moo
DEF
456
Woof
HIG
789
Meow

>From reading the documentation I could not find anything specific about this.
>The closest thing I found was regarding multi column record id in SQL are
>separated by text marks.

This makes it interesting when using SQL select statements in a Subroutine when
using READNEXT.

In the first example there are 3 rows and each READNEXT returns all the data
you want separated by text markers.
SQLCOM = "SELECT COL1, COL2, COL3 TO SLIST 1 FROM MYFILE;"

EXECUTE SQLCOM SETTING NUMFOUND CAPTURING TRASH
LOOP WHILE READNEXT REC.ROW FROM 1
        CRT REC.ROW
REPEAT

In the second example there are 9 rows and each you have to call READNEXT 3
times to get all your column data for one record.
SQLCOM = " SELECT COL1, COL2, COL3 TO SLIST 1 FROM MYFILE ORDER BY COL1;"

EXECUTE SQLCOM SETTING NUMFOUND CAPTURING TRASH
LOOP WHILE READNEXT REC.ROW FROM 1
        CRT REC.ROW
REPEAT

Why does the ORDER BY statement change my SLIST?

Regards

Adrian Halid
Senior Analyst/Programmer

IT Vision Australia Pty Ltd (ABN: 34 309 336 904)
PO Box 881, Canning Bridge WA 6153
Level 3, Kirin Centre, 15 Ogilvie Road, Applecross, WA, 6153
P:  (08) 9315 7000      F:  (08) 9315 7088
E:  adrian.ha...@itvision.com.au        W: http://www.itvision.com.au

NOTICE : This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only
and may
contain confidential or privileged material. Any unauthorised review, use,
alteration,
disclosure or distribution of this e-mail (including any attachments) by an
unintended recipient
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
as soon as
possible by return e-mail and then delete both messages.