>From what I have seen Excel2010 (I think 2007 did it as well) will often
strip off the first occurrence of the double quote in the field and
leave the ending quote, but still get the columns right.

For instance: test,"he said, "Watch out below."","test2"

Will show up as

Col1 test
Col2 he said, Watch out below.""
Col3 test2

You have to escape them with an additional double quote to get it right

This: test,"he said, ""Watch out below.""","test2"

Works as expected.

So the moral is, replace your double quotes  with 2 double quotes before
you write surround it with double quotes and write it.

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of John Hester
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 5:45 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Building an Excel File

It's been my experience in the past that you can avoid issues with the
comma delimeter as long as you enclose your data in double-quotes.
Supposedly this even applies to data that already contains
double-quotes, although I've never attempted it personally.  Wikipedia
has that specific example documented, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

-John