From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 7:44 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Where can I get UniAdmin?

I'm providing notes about XAdmin since we're here.  Bottom line, it's
working fine.

I installed the DBTools but originally put them under:
C:\Program Files\Rocket Software\U2\U2Tools
The first startup failed, saying I should look for a log under
U2Tools\v3.
That log wasn't there. I suspect a W7 permissions issue and figured
this  is why the installer wanted to install under the c:\U2 directory
in the first place. But after so many years isn't it clear yet that
products should be installed under Program Files, not root, and that
should be written to %AppData% (different for W7/XP, etc)?

I uninstalled but the Program Files tree remained.  Apparently the
uninstall doesn't remove the JRE6 that it installed. OK, that's
another issue. First, why not mandate the JRE get installed into a
common location first? Second, if you're going to install software,
uninstall it too.

I put my second installation under C:\Databases\U2\U2Tools, since I
have all of my databases in that tree as well. On startup I did get
the XAdmin. Yay.

I created a Server reference and attempted to Connect, got error
39202. Recognized this as an RPC error and ... oops, I had shutdown
Universe. Start services, got connect. Yay.

On first connect got message that the Server programs are out-of-date
with option to update XTOOLSUB to v3.100.0.
Click OK. Wait. Nothing. Is something happening? Guess not. Move on.

Open Tasks/Network Services to change telnet/ssh ports (avoid
conflicts with other MV products). Change my Universe service to use
the new telnet port for debugging. Now set Windows Firewall to allow
the new ports. Connect in from outside. Yay!

I hope that helps someone (whether U2Tools developers or fellow
users).

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
Worldwide, and provides related development services
Remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit http://PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno
http://groups.google.com/group/mvdbms/about