From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Porterfield
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:04 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Universe: IF statements in parargraphs don't work
anymore

Louie Bergsagel <louiebergsagel <at> gmail.com> writes:

> No, that works fine.  You only need a label if you want to skip some
lines.

> Turns out somebody had deleted the VOC equal sign record "=".
>
> Which brings up a good security question, how do you prevent someone
> from deleting things?  Put shell around ED and DELETE?
> It would be a bummer to have to make VOC read-only.
>
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Ron Hutchings <ron_hutchings <at>
> hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Line 6 don't you need to go to a label to execute a command
> > instead of trying to directly execute it?
> u2-users <at> listserver.u2ug.org

Check into the Security Subroutines section of the Administrators Guide.
1)  Make a temporary copy of ED in your VOC, call it ED.BAK.  This is
your backdoor in case of problems.  I would also have a separate account
with a pointer to the main account's VOC.  This account you can lock
with a simple paragraph that says if @LOGNAME isn't you, LOGOUT.
2) Write a security subroutine that conforms to the specs given in
Chapter 8 of the Administrators guide. Catalog it in the global catalog.
2) Copy the verbs you want to secure, including ED, into your VOCLIB.
3) Change the verbs in the VOC to Remote pointers to your VOCLIB, and
add the name of your security routine to line 4. (I might suggest
testing the R pointers before applying the security routine.)
4) Once you're sure your security is working as planned, and that you
can use the ED program you've secured, then remove your back door
ED.BAK.  Remember, you can still fix the VOC from your other account if
you manage to lock yourself out.