You need to talk to your QSA, our QSA is great because we can ask him questions
anytime and he doesn't charge for each question we ask.  He helps us make
decisions about our products that eases the recertification process.  We only
pay every 3 years for our PCI PA-DSS certification.  It is well worth the
investment!  We know we are offering solid PCI PA-DSS solutions to our
customers.

As I understand it, you are responsible to keep your backups very secure, and
dispose of the backups in a secure manner (bulk eraser for tape backups?).  For
disk backups, you should encrypt the backup and securely delete when you no
longer have a need.  You should have an auditable means of tracking access to
your backups, especially if it is easy to take the backup off-site.  I don't
believe you are required to restore the backup, encrypt the data, then cut a
new backup.

One word of caution, make sure you have the encryption key secured for the
backups.

When it comes to credit cards, it is best to always error on the side of
caution.  The consequences if you lose data is huge for you and your customers.

Good luck, PCI is real "fun"!

Tom
RATEX Business Solutions