From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Dawn Wolthuis
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:08 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] READU vs READ and CRT

You are correct that the animated gif does not harm the processing time on
the server. I think it is obnoxious to the user when it is there for too
short a time, so I hauled some out and stopped putting them in, figuring we
will wait to see where they are really needed once we do volume testing. I
have not researched it to see if there are any studies that suggest that an
animated gif that flashes quickly provides a bad user experience. My UX
testing in this case was not formal -- it was me going "oh, yuck, I don't
want that gif to be there for so short a time."

You are right that this is not of the same ilk regarding performance. Yes,
it only shows while the server is doing something -- when a process returns
it hides the gif.  --dawn

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:21 AM, George Gallen
<ggal...@wyanokegroup.com>wrote:

> For a webapp, does an animated gif really detract processing time? The
> gif should be running client side, And the "processing" of the app
> would be running server side. Maybe you could only show the gif while
> The app is waiting for the server to push some more data?
>
> George

for a stupid little character twirling around.
>  Go figure...
>
>  Regards,
>  Charlie Noah

Dawn M. Wolthuis