Hi Bill,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Bill Haskett <wphask...@advantos.net> wrote:
> A typical big problem today is figuring out what is happening in (through) a
> UniObjects connection.  This can be monumentally frustrating to track down.
>  In D3, the socket into D3 could be tandemed to and the data flow could be
> watched.  Apparently, no one thought this would be a useful feature in the
> U2 world so it's either not available or not widely known how to do it.  In
> mv.NET they, at least, built a window to watch the data flow through their
> connection (via UniObjects), which, as we all know, is a tremendous help is
> debugging application code.

Going OT a little from the original thread we had the above problem
when first using uniobjects on projects 5+ years ago.

>From experience found the best method to communicate between client
and server is to send unique XML messages to a single dispatching
subroutine on the server.  The dispatching subroutine then looks at
the messages and calls the appropriate subroutine handler to send a
return XML message back to the client.

This is so much easier to debug as you can just watch the XML message
conversation go back and forth with client, can also "replay"
problematic sequences later in a test environment to track down a
problem.

For the above today i noticed unidata 7.3 has JSON added so may be
able to use that as an alternative medium to XML to carry the messages
back and forth between the 2 parties.

- Robert