On 05/07/12 23:58, Rick Nuckolls wrote:
> Oops, I would of thought that if a file had, say 100,000 bytes, @ 70 percent
> full, there would be 30,000 bytes "empty" or dead. Are you suggesting the
> there would be 70,000 bytes of data and 42,000 bytes of dead space?

Do you mean 100,000 bytes of disk space, or 100,000 bytes of data?

I guess you are thinking that the file occupies, on disk, 100K. In which
case it will have 70K of data and 30K of empty space.

But if you are thinking that the file contains 100K of data, it will
actually occupy 142K of disk space.

So this particular option "wastes" 30% of the disk space it uses, but
uses 42% extra space to what it optimally needed assuming perfect packing.

I know, it's fun to try get your head round it :-)

Cheers,
Wol