I beg to differ.
The runtime maintains a pointer to *your current attribute*, as I understand it.

Not to *each* attribute location.
One buffer location, not a thousand.

If it maintained a pointer to *each* attribute location, you could jump around
in the variable at random and has access as quick as a dimensioned array gives
you.  But I believe that is not the case.

By-attribute insertion is quick *only* because you are always inserting at the
current position (or the next).
Change this to a locate with insertion and it should dramatically slow down.
This is because the entire string is being picked up and put down on each
insert.  The whole string.
I think in the case of insertion at the end (the current position) it doesn't
actually pick up and rewrite the whole string on each append.
Just the end of the string.