Charles,

My guess is Quick as in a quick link to another account.

Don Robinson

From: Charles Stevenson <stevenson.c...@gmail.com>

To: U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:19 PM
Subject: [U2] Etymology of  "Q-Pointer"

A newbie stumped me:   Why are "Q-Pointers"  "Q" pointers ?

The "Q" lingo comes from the dawning days of Pick.
Why was the letter "Q" chosen?

    "A"ttribute makes sense.
    "S"ynonym makes sense.
    "PQ"  for Prestored Query makes sense.  PR for Proc would have been better.

D3 User Guide just says,
    "Q-pointers are used in account master dictionaries to point to other
files."
UV User Ref says,
    "Q-pointers are file definition synonyms that point to files in local and
remote UniVerse accounts."
Jonathon Sisk's "Pick Pocket Guide" doesn't help, either.
PI never had Q-pointers.  Clif, did Devcom consider it "Q"uestionable?

I posed the same question on  Pick Users GoogleGroup,  but I didn't get a
really satisfactory answer, yet.
I'll bet someone here on the U2-List  knows the true answer.

Chuck Stevenson