On 24/09/12 18:54, Kevin King wrote:
> Good thought on the index, but alas, no index on the file.  We could
> probably add one, but then how do we control the order of the records being
> retrieved from the list?  (The order is important to our process.)

You'll have to check, but IME with UV the index is actually stored in
sorted order. I think you can force numerics to sort correctly.

As for your original problem, the select list consuming list 0, what
happens (assuming you want to do it to list 8) if you do

SELECT FROM 8 TO 8

Does it blow up complaining there's nothing in 8 to start with, or does
it work the way you want?

Cheers,
Wol