Yes, it is a vastly improved beast over earlier versions. Like others, I not a
fan of the timeout of the UniObject session. BDT has features the competition
has yet to add. I especially like being able to expand the inserts and see the
BASIC Labels easily accessible. I still haven't been to get to SSH to our
hosts, but I have never had the time to dig in the whys, etc.

It is still worthwhile looking at U2Logic XLR8Editor and Brian Leach's freeware
Windows thick-client MVDeveloper.

I don't use any of these tools myself (occasionally fire up BDT)... but have
trialled an early version of XLR8Editor...and trialled MVDeveloper.

www.u2logic.com/tools.html (the links to download the documentation seem to
have gone AWOL)
http://www.brianleach.co.uk/pages/mvdeveloper.htm

Each has unique features which means you choose the one the suits your needs.
Or use all of them! I'm not a big fan of Eclipsed based products. I loathe the
wealth of non-functional menus, menu-items that they all seem to have. Its
weird shoving your specific tool into some else's generic tool framework.

In general dedicated software tool vendors tend to much more responsive to
feedback and bug fixes, etc. They have a short lead time / development cycle so
are able to be more 'agile'. For us 'dabblers', this isn't such a big thing.