And to add even further to the mix ... bear in mind my advice is about
operating systems not U2, and my knowledge is UV not UD ...

Are you SURE it's not needed if the source is Linux? Or do you actually
mean Linux/x86? Certainly with UV, the OS is irrelevant, what matters is
the endian-ness of the chip, so files can be freely copied between Intel
machines regardless of OS. (Mind you, you probably can't get U2 for
non-Intel linux :-)

And nobody has even mentioned the file-corruption issue the OP asked
about ... this is *probably* ftp. Could be samba. Anyways, you need to
make sure that however you copy the files, you tell it that it is a
binary file. If ftp or samba think it's a text file, it will translate
between crlf and lf (and cr on a mac, I believe).

Cheers,
Wol