From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Dan Fitzgerald
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 3:32 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Large File Operations Kill Linux

Other users could have been hanging at malloc. With a swappiness of 100 (on
some kernels) or 100 (on others) or "not 0 or 100"(not sure which behavior you
get on 2.6.18), pages wouldn't be getting freed up quickly enough duing the
creation/copying of a large file.

Another thing to look at (although I prefer the support route, since you have
it), is /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/defrag. Other people who have had
this problem alleviated it by setting this to "never".

Of course, others fixed it by updating the kernel. My aged eyes read what you
have as 2.6.8.1...

> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 21:15:25 +0000
> From: antli...@youngman.org.uk
> To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
> Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Large File Operations Kill Linux
>
> On 04/02/13 21:05, Dan Fitzgerald wrote:
> >
> > What's the value in /proc/sys/vm/swappiness?
>
> How will that make any difference? 2.6.18-348 SOUNDS like an ancient (in
> linux terms) kernel. Are you on RedHat support?
>
> This is a problem with the linux kernel that was addressed recently,
> iirc. Large amounts of io from a single process can swamp the queue, and
> the latest kernels have it fixed.
>
> If you've got RH support, see if you can find out if that's been
> backported into your kernel.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
> >
> >> From: perry.tay...@zirmed.com
> >> To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
> >> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:53:13 +0000
> >> Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Large File Operations Kill Linux
> >>
> >> We're on RHEL5 (2.6.18-348.el5), ext3 and 132GB ram.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. ZirMed, Inc. has strict policies regarding the
content of e-mail communications, specifically Protected Health
Information, any communications containing such material will
be returned to the originating party with such advisement
noted. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the