From: Israel, John R. <johnisr...@daytonsuperior.com>
To: U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Wed, Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] History..

Also,

Once a program is cataloged, you no longer need to type the "RUN filename
programname".  You can just type the programname.

Note that if the program is a subroutine AND it has arguments, you cannot run
this from TCL.  It will blow up right away.  No harm, but no execution either.

You also have to catalog a program in order to CALL it by another program.

Be sure to understand the impact of cataloging globally (the default) vs.
locally.  We catalog everything locally on our box which simply builds a VOC
pointer to the object code.  This means that once it is cataloged once, we
never
need to catalog it again, but other accounts cannot see it w/o being cataloged
in those other accounts too.  Globally cataloged programs are available to
anyone on the box (but can lead to confusion between different account w/
different versions of the same program).  Both global and local have their
advantages and disadvantages.

JRI