Where is this whitepaper at natively?

-----Original Message-----
From: andy baum <andyb...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thu, Apr 18, 2013 10:56 am
Subject: Re: [U2] blink error?

Jake,

You do not say what release of UV you are running but as of 9.5.1C you really
should be using fixtool. See extracts from whitepaper below

1) Description
fixtool is the replacement for UVFIXFILE (uvfixfile from the OS shell) and was
introduced at 9.5.1C to support
both 32-bit and 64-bit files. Initially it had a limited command line interface
as it was intended to be used from
the UVAdmin GUI client. When 9.6 was introduced, fixtool was enhanced with a
few
command line arguments
to provide logging of the groups it traced, but could not be limited to a
certain number of groups. By 9.6.2.x, it
was further enhanced to permit group range traces, which no longer required
exclusive access to the file.

11) Final details
fixtool was originally designed to by used with the UniVerse administration
client, then UVAdmin (pre-release
10) and now UniAdmin (release 10 and higher). It was designed as the
replacement
to UVFIXFILE, which is
has not been enhanced since UniVerse release 9.5.27. Of the two file repair
tools it is the only one designed to
work with both 23-bit and 64-bit files. It was not documented in any UniVerse
publication except in the
UniVerse Troubleshooting guide and this white paper.
The administration clients do not call it with any arguments other than
specifying –file and –fix8. Enhancements
to UniAdmin to include more options from fixtool similar to the command line
are
planned for UniVerse 10.1.
fixtool works only on 32-bit and 64-bit UniVerse files, and supports file types
2 – 18 and 30.
fixtool requires UniVerse to be running. At releases earlier than 10.0, it may
only run on the release for which it
was built as the signature in the program is compared to the disk shared memory
signature. As of release 10.1,
fixtool from any 10.0.x release will work within 10.0.x. For example, a build
of
fixtool at 10.0.4 for Windows
will work at 10.0.0 for Windows.

This is a very powerful tool and should be used in preference to uvfixfile. I
have never found a file it couldn't fix/help fix. It is in the bin directory of
the main uv account and should be run as root/administrator.

HTH,

Andy