There is really no reason to export the data from Universe. When I created the data warehouse product for Eclipse we simply collected all the data from the various transaction files associated with a specific reporting function and wrote them out on demand for a given query to a flattened out Universe file specifically designed to accommodate reporting/SQL. For example all of the data pertaining to sales for a particular time period on a sales order line item by line item basis as records. One the data is in an "SQL friendly" normalized format (and perhaps even moved to a non-production server) all of the popular data warehouse reporting tools (Cognos, Pentaho, MS Business Intelligence, SAP Crystal Solutions, etc) can be used via ODBC to create your "slice and dice" graphical reporting.

If you absolutely HAVE to export the data I would recommend the simplest possible solution, tab delimited flat files since pretty much any SQL database can import that.

Tom Whitmore wrote:
Hi,
I was wondering what tools you use to export data to an SQL data warehouse from
UniVerse.  This export could occur on multiple flavors of Unix.

What we would need to do is extract the UV data and perform some data
"translations" before importing the data into the SQL table.

I know at one point DataStage was a powerful but expensive tool that would
accomplish this task.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Tom Whitmore
RATEX Business Solutions