Having a Pi and using it to actuate a solenoid to push a button is like going back into the dark ages with the star ship enterprise. Pull the button and wire in a solid state relay. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Frailey" <rfrai...@utahmed.com>
To: "U2 Users List" <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [U2] [way ot] - Electronic Button Purshers?

magnetic solenoid and a return spring
----- Original Message ----- From: "William Brutzman" <bi...@hkmetalcraft.com>
To: "U2 Users List" <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 9:43 AM

George:

1. Consider using a solid-state relay.
2. There has been much buzz over things like [a] Arduino and [b] littleBits.
3. I also like www.Mouser.com.

--Bill

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM, George Gallen <ggal...@wyanokegroup.com>wrote:

OK.

I'm trying to use a Raspberry pi to push a button, but only want to use
one GPIO port.
Basically, I'm trying to get the pi to turn a device on or off - and can't
easily get to
Where the button on the device's board is at to have the pi trigger with a
relay,
So I plan to mount the device, and have something just push the button
directly.

Do they make a device that when energized, will push a rod out then back?
Right now, my only option (maybe not only), would be to create a Scotch
Yoke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_yoke

But for space contraints, and ease, I'd rather put in something that would
do
That as it's primary function.

George