From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Fitzgerald
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:56 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Relative Path for SET.INDEX in Universe

Rick,

Don't know if you got your question about relative index answered, but this was
from a post I made back in 2007:

----------------

        IBM tech support just made me aware of an apparently undocumented
feature that was added to SET.INDEX in release 10.1 allowing a relative path
for the index file.

        SET.INDEX  filename  TO  RELATIVE.PATH

This command will set the index pathname to "./I_filename" eliminating the need
to reset the index pathname when the files are copied, as long as the data file
and index file are copied as a unit.  Similarly:

        CREATE.INDEX  filename  indexname  AT  RELATIVE.PATH

Wanted to share this *very* nice enhancement.

Jeff Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald & Long, Inc.

---------------

Not too long after my post, Steve O'Neal made this post about a problem.
 Haven't tested lately to see if it's still a problem or not....

-------------------

There are, of course, caveats with everything.  You cannot add a second index
after you make the first one, AT RELATIVE.PATH, in a typical fashion.  This
would be necessary if you wanted indices with different characteristics, for
example, with and without NO.NULLS.

This behavior occurs on AIX 5.3 and Windows XP at UniVerse 10.2

Case 422234*USA has been created.

C:\Accounts\bugs\IndexRelative2>C:\ibm\uv\bin\uv
This directory is not set up for uniVerse.
Would you like to set it up (Y/N)?Y
 0. Ideal UniVerse compatibility
 1. IN2 compatibility
 2. Prime Information compatibility
 3. PICK compatibility
 4. PI/open compatibility
 5. Microdata Reality compatibility

Which way do you wish to configure your VOC ? 0 Your VOC is configured for
Ideal UniVerse compatibility Creating file "VOC" as Type 3, Modulo 23,
Separation 4.
Creating file "D_VOC" as Type 3, Modulo 2, Separation 1.
*
Creating file "&SAVEDLISTS&" as Type 1.
Creating file "D_&SAVEDLISTS&" as Type 3, Modulo 1, Separation 2.
Added "@ID", the default record for RetrieVe, to "D_&SAVEDLISTS&".
Creating file "VOCLIB" as Type 2, Modulo 7, Separation 4.
Creating file "D_VOCLIB" as Type 3, Modulo 1, Separation 2.
Added "@ID", the default record for RetrieVe, to "D_VOCLIB".
UniVerse Command Language 10.2
(c) Copyright IBM Corporation 2006. All rights reserved.
IndexRelative2 logged on: Thu May 17 10:16:49 2007

>CREATE.INDEX VOC F2 AT RELATIVE.PATH
>CREATE.INDEX VOC F1 AT RELATIVE.PATH

Unable to open index map "C:\Accounts\bugs\IndexRelative2/VOC/INDEX.MAP"
for rea
d/write,>CREATE.INDEX VOC F1

Unable to open index map "C:\Accounts\bugs\IndexRelative2/VOC/INDEX.MAP"
for rea
d/write,>

Hope this helps!

Jeff Fitzgerald