Hi Peter,

It's been a while since I've used/played around with UV/Net, but this may
help...

1. Setup
You only need a ensure UniRPC is active and you license for UV/Net on the
server you wish to access. I don't recall you need to anything other than the
UniRPC Daemon listening for requests and it will invoke uvnet for your client
request.

2. Security
I can't recall if you're using UNIX or not...(it is supposed to OS independent)

Although, UV/Net is supposed to set the effective user (UID numer) and group
(GID numer) for the remote users connecting to the remote UV server...if
required. Plus if specified - as you're doing so. My experience with similar DB
product tools is it is far better to have the UID and GIDs directly aligned.
Specifically: make sure the UID and GID for the same named accounts are exactly
the same on both servers. Or if you use SET.REMOTE.ID that the account locally
has sufficient rights or in fact it exists.

I have issues with the same accounts and groups on different users have
different UIDs and GIDs on the different client and servers - causing grief/
havoc on similar products to UV/Net, etc.

Also - check if you have UniVerse Dynamic Type30 files, that your UNIX file
ownerships, group ownership and Other are set exactly the same. This includes
the hidden file.Type30. Having different settings are recipe for lots of grief!

Finally, be forewarned that allowing testers/developers access to your
production server via UV/Net is an EXTREMELY bad idea! (Career terminating if
things go pear shaped when they have write/delete rights!). It is far too easy
for these types of users to be unaware their test account is in fact pointing
to your production service and there access is write/delete.

Did you try the UVNETRID environment variable in place of SET.REMOTE.ID? If you
are still having issues, you may have to enabled UniRPC debugging which is very
extensive and generate logs of data - but is useful for seeing exactly where
things are going wrong.

Cheers,
David