On 30/03/2014 16:12, Charlie Noah wrote:
I always thought drivers resided on the computer, not the printer. Oh well, learn something new every day.

I think they do. Microsoft have some mode where you install the drivers on the computer that the printer is attached to, but they have to be able to run on the computer that is doing the printing. The best way to explain it is to assume that we have a bunch of printers physically attached to a linux/samba print server. You can install the windows drivers onto the linux machine, and when a windows machine wants to print it pulls the drivers down and uses them.

So in this example, if you didn't have your fancy compatibility hack you could have the printer attached to an XP machine. But your Windows 7 machine still wouldn't be able to print, because it couldn't pass the job to the XP machine to use the XP drivers, and there aren't any 7 drivers for the machine to pull down and use.

That said, I shall have to investigate this fix. My father-in-law has a printer that has no Win7 drivers, so anything he wants to print he has to save onto his XP machine and print from there. If I can use that hack ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol