There's a few postings on this very topic in the archives, such as this from
Glenn Herbert...

http://www.indexinfocus.com/dl/u2list/200106/15105.html

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 7:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Secondary Indices on Distributed Files

For some strange reason, the DICT of each Part File needed to contain
copies of the I-Types from the Distributed File's DICT in order for
CREATE.INDEX to work correctly.

Next question...  To avoid having to copy DICT items to all the Part Files
each time a change is made, I updated the VOC pointer of each Part File to
look at the DICT for the Distributed File.  This seemed to work fine for
the CREATE.INDEX, and each INDEX.000 record within each of the I_files (one
for each Part File) has correct index information for the records within
it's part file.

>From a Distributed File perspective, does anyone see a problem with
changing the DICT pointers for each Part File to look at the DICT of the
Distributed File?  Each Part File belongs to only this one Distributed
File.

If not, then how about the Indices themselves when combined with
Distributed Files?  Would each Part File not using it's own DICT cause a
problem?

Thanks!