> Pretty major thing.  Not quite as simple as it looks on the surface.  The
> major concept that throws a wrench into the works is the varying
conversion
> rates.   Pretty simple to flip-flop transactions at the current exchange
> rate.   It gets real sticky at the G/L level where for any given
transaction
> you would have gains or losses due to currency fluctuations.   Your $1000
> booked invoice only nets you the equivalent of $950 when paid.   The
other
> little pain is showing old transactions.   What rate do you use?   It
gets
> to be quite interesting.

sorry about the previous post - I must have hit the send button on a draft.
Here is what I meant to say:

You have to have a currency control account in the general ledger, usually
one for each currency. Then you have currency revaluation process that runs
periodically and calcualates the difference between the value on the
transaction and the value at the current exchange rate. You adjust the
transaction by that amount and also post it to the currency control
account.

HSBC Bank plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ
Registered in England - Number 14259
Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Member of the HSBC Bank marketing group. We sell life assurance, pensions
and collective investment schemes and advise only on our own range of these
products.

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and / or distributed to any other person. Each page attached
hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer which forms part
of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor the
solicitation of an offer to sell or purchase any investment. Its contents are
based on information obtained from sources believed to be reliable but
HSBC makes no representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as
to its completeness or accuracy.