Hi guys

Hope everybody is ok!

To get straight to the point, system as follows:

SunFire V880
2x1.2GHZ UltaSparc3cu Processors
4GB RAM
6x68GB 10krpm FC-AL disks
96GB backplane

Disks are grouped together to create volumes - as follows:

Disk 1 - root, var, dev, ud60, xfer - RAID 1 (Root Volume Primary Mirror)
Disk 2 - root, var, dev, ud60, xfer - RAID 1 (Root Volume Submirror)
Disk 3 - /u - RAID 10 (Unidata Volume Primary Mirror - striped)
Disk 4 - /u - RAID 10 (Unidata Volume Primary Mirror - striped)
Disk 5 - /u - RAID 10 (Unidata Volume Submirror - striped)
Disk 6 - /u - RAID 10 (Unidata Volume Sumkfs -F ufs -o nsect=424,ntrack=24,bsize=8192,fragsize=1024,cgsize=10,free=1,rps=167,nbpi=8275,opt=t,apc=0,gap=0,nrpos=8,maxcontig=16 /dev/md/dsk/d10 286220352
bmirror - striped)

UD60   -   Unidata Binary area
XFER   -   Data output area for Unidata accounts (csv files etc)
/U         -   Primary Unidata account/database area.

If I perform tests via the system using both dd and mkfile, I see speeds of around 50MB/s for WRITES, 60MB/s for READS, however if a colleague loads a 100MB csv file using READSEQ into a Unidata file, not doing anything fancy, I see massive Average Service Times (asvc_t - using IOSTAT) and the device is usually always 100% busy, no real CPU overhead but with 15MB/s tops WRITE. There is only ONE person using this system (to test throughput).

This is confusing, drilling down I have set a 16384 block interlace size on each stripe and the following info for the mounted volume:

mkfs -F ufs -o nsect=424,ntrack=24,bsize=8192,fragsize=1024,cgsize=10,free=1,rps=167,nbpi=8275,opt=t,apc=0,gap=0,nrpos=8,maxcontig=16 /dev/md/dsk/d10 286220352

in /etc/system I have set the following parameters:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=1024
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=50
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmni=1615
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=985
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=1218

set maxpgio=240
set maxphys=8388608

I have yet to change the throughput on the ssd drivers in order to break the 1MB barrier, however I still would have expected better performance. UDTCONFIG is as yet unchanged from default.

Does anybody have any comments?

Things to try in my opinion:

I think I have the RAID correct, the Unidata TEMP directory I have redirected to be on the /U RAID 10 partition rather than the RAID 1 ud60 area.

1. Blocksizes should match average Unidata file size.

One question I have is does Unidata perform its own file caching? can I mount filesystems using FORCEDIRECTIO or does Unidata rely heavily on the Solaris based buffers?

Thanks for any information you can provide

--
Martin Thorpe
DATAFORCE GROUP LTD